DIVERSE COMMUNICATIONS STRATEGY
To really open new markets and reach new customers, your organisation has to understand the diversity of the customers, the different channels of media they read and respect, and develop a relevant strategy to achieve these goals. Guess what - most large companies and public bodies are really poor at this, as they are all trying to reach the 'mass' market or the 'average consumer' when in reality, there is no such person.
Here are some practical tips:
- Conduct research on your consumers and their diverse habits and tastes
- Understand what products or services they use regularly, even if they have created these themselves
- Find out where they live and shop, and which media they respect and watch/listen regularly
- Visit their community centres - you may be hugely surprised by their resourcefulness
- Discover what is common with your strengths and goals
- Recruit from these cultures and communities for your marketing department, and allow these staff to have a different identity and to bring their opinions to the discussion tables. Whatever you do, do not suppress identity.
- Obtain training for your key leaders and decision makers about diverse markets and audiences.
Diverse Ethics is happy to help you develop a strategy and to deliver training in this area.
Article added on 9th April 2010 at 8:31am